Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Make me a panini...pppplllllleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeeee.....

Nine O'clock on a Tuesday night. My shoes are on, my sink is polished (aka no dishes), I'm sitting on the couch editing my last blog (From April...uht oh) and just as I was getting ready to shut down my computer and settle in for the evening...

"Mmmmmmooooooooommmmmmmm. Can you make me a panini?" My daughter said.

I tried to ignore her.

"Please." She said.

I looked up, and I tried to look as tired as possible.

"Ppppppllllllleeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeee."

Since looking tired wasn't working, I gave in, and reopened the kitchen.

Truth. A traditional Italian salami sandwich is very simple. Good bread, olive oil, salt, pepper, salame. Period. Any questions?

I've been known to vary my panini ingredients, but typically, I'll keep it simple. The secret to a good panini, is an excellent panini maker. Here is mine. It's one of the best on the market. A brick from my house. Hey I paid $XXX,XXX for that brick.

Next you need good bread (a challenge in Dallas...but there are places, like Eatzi's you can get some good, quality, Italian bread).

And lastly, good meat and good olive oil. I chose a traditional salame, calabrese and capocollo. (Forgive me for the pictures...I used my cell phone...no bueno.)

Drizzle the olive oil on both sides of the bread. Sprinkle bread with salt and pepper. Place the deli meat in the sandwich and place the closed sandwich in a hot fry pan (with more oil). Place the brick on top of the sandwich, use a plate if you need to for balance. Flip when browned and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment