Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Disney Magic - It's a small world filled with Etouffee AND Gorillas

Home sweet home. After ten days of eating (not so much drinking...after all, I was on a road trip to Disneyworld) my scale welcomed me...heavier than the lowest weight I had seen on the scale. Ut oh...that's okay, my lifestyle change (of 5.5 years - 150 lbs respectively) continues on...at this very moment. I "almost" said tomorrow, but I've learned on my journey, that it's never really about waiting until tomorrow, it's just immediately reflecting and continuing on.

With that said, I did experience some exceptionally amazing food, and over the next few posts, I'll share everything I can remember, including recipes.

True confession - I'm a Disney N U T. I feel as if I know the Disneyland Park and California Adventure (note I'm calling it California Adventure because I have a dear friend who hates it when I call it Disneyland California) but...I still call it Disneyland California when she isn't within an earshot. Because she might read the blog, I have to behave though.

So, a true Disney nut, that is me. I'm sure if you looked up the word Disney N U T in the dictionary (provided you can find it) there will be a picture of me with my children.

Disney nut that I am, I feel I can give anyone tips on Disneyland. Where to go, what to eat, what to do first...with that said, here is my number one Disneyland tip.

Do you know that you can get into Disneyland free?

FREE! Yes free, and you don't have to watch or listen to a timeshare lecture. But there is a catch. It's a 60 minute park entry, so you have to be careful with your time. It's called a "shopping pass" and if you leave your drivers license and your credit card info at the front gate, you can enter the park to "shop", if you're gone more than 60 minutes you'll be charged for entry into the park.

I have used this to expose my friends to Disneyland when they are not sure they are ready as an adult to do the Disney thing. Warning, the last person who I exposed the shopping pass to loved the park so much, she not only went back in (without me - hey...how fair is that) she invited me on her Disneyworld vacation...and shhhh, here's another secret, she had such a great time, she's planning another trip...without her grandchildren so her and her husband can really enjoy themselves.

Awe...it's official, I've turned her into a Disney nut.



Regarding the photo..."yes...I AM wearing a sweatshirt, in Orlando Florida, in July". I was freezing. In fact, I caught a summer cold and I was sick the first 9 days of my 10 day vacation...okay, that's an exaggeration, I was sick five of the six days I entered the park.

Awe...

But thankfully (back to the sweatshirt) one of the stops we made before hitting the park was a Harley dealership in Gainsville Florida. Huh? Yea...my boyfriend (who house sat for me) is as into Harley as I am into Disney, so we made a few stops at dealerships along the way so I could get him a couple little things he'd actually wear. Fortunately, I found this lovely sweatshirt on sale (he'll appreciate that) and I wore it so often I finally felt compelled to tell him because I was worried it wasn't going to appear "new".

:)

An unexpected treat of the trip was finding out just how small the world is. On the way, we stopped at Darwell's Cafe, 127 East First Street, Long Beach, Mississippi 39560. Darwell's Cafe was featured on the Foodnetwork show, Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. How cool is it that I found a clip? Got to love YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzGryWsCVLg

My daughter, 15, got the Etouffee. She love love loved it. I had one of the best burgers I've ever had. It was amazing, and after waiting quite a while before having a burger again, I'm so glad I did in his restaurant.


Just as you can see from the photo, Darwell is charismatic and engaging and loves what he does. It's a joy not just eating at Darwell's, but being able to speak with him really makes the experience.

Back quickly to "the small world"...while speaking with Darwell, I mentioned there was a restaurant also featured on DD&D from my home town, Pacifica (a couple of miles from San Francisco). Turns out, Darwell was familiar with the restaurant, Gorilla BBQ, and in fact, he has met Gorilla personally.

More about Gorilla BBQ: http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/smokin-bbq/index.html, http://www.gorillabbq.com/

It really is a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment