Popular Posts

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Last Minute Dinner Party on a Dime...Literally

I am very fortunate to have a wonderful circle of supportive friends. My adorable friend Sparkie turned the big 50 on Friday, so what better excuse to host a little dinner? How about no time to cook and payday isn't until next week...and next week feels far far far away. Not a worry, with an Italian Menu, it's easy peasy.  Below is the "original" menu...and as you can tell by the picture (yes...that is straight from the pantry, vanilla pudding in a cup) there were some last minute substitutions.



****************************************************
TRATTORIA CONCIATORE
Buon Compleanno Sparkie
antipasti e insalate
Appetizers & Salad
Fettunta
slices of rustic bread, toasted, rubbed with
garlic & drizzled with extra virgin olive oil
Tomatoes Caprese
heirloom tomatoes with fresh
basil & extra virgin olive oil. Drizzled
with reduced balsamic.
Insalata Mista
mixed Italian salad with extra virgin olive oil & vinegar
primi
Pasta
Fettuccine Alfredo con Pollo
egg pasta tossed with cream, Parmigiano,
chicken & garlic
pizze
Pizzas
Margherita
tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil & olive oil
dolci
Dessert
Affogato
a scoop of vanilla gelato doused with a shot of
hot espresso & brandy
cocktail della casa
Sparkling wine based cocktail

Bellini

Asti Spumante w/peaches

 

**********************************************************************************

Step One - Plan Your Menu

Saturday was going to be an incredibly busy day...my incredibly brave son relocated back to San Francisco and his flight was leaving at 7:45 pm. Naturally, I wanted to spend my day with him, but who wants to be "alone" at 6:00 pm on a Saturday night after such an emotional day? Certainly NOT me!

As you can tell if you get a good look at the menu (intentionally written in Italian to disguise how simple it really is), I chose a slam dunk meal. My favorite go to's that I can do with my hands tied behind my back so I wouldn't be fretting all day long about if I could pull it off.

Step Two - Off to the Grocery Store

We have a great store in Frisco called Aldi. I'm confident the word Aldi means "run in, put everything you can fit into your bare hands, run out". I believe this firmly because I never had a quarter in my procession to secure a cart when I get there. Now that is a real money saver!

Fettunta = 1 loaf of white bread
Tomatoes Caprese = 1 can of Italian diced tomatoes
Insalata Mista = 1 pre-washed package romaine lettuce
Fettuccine Alfredo con Pollo = 1 box fettuccine noodles, 1 package frozen presliced chicken, heavy cream, butter
Margherita Pizze = 1 premade pizza crust, 1 tomato, 1 package presliced mozzarella cheese, 1 small can tomato sauce
Bellini = 1 package frozen peaches

Step Three - Ask a fab friend to bring the liquor and ice cream. (The ice cream didn't arrive, thus pantry pudding...but never fear, the liquor did, and honestly...no one noticed.)

Step Four - Favors. My mom trained me to never entertain without a give a way...she was the master. I needed cheap, simple and so easy a child could do it...

1 package plastic champagne flutes
1 package colored gum balls

:)

Still need recipes...really?

Okay maybe a few...

To prep the bread for the fettunta, preheat oven to 425. I sliced the sandwich bread into quarters. On a sheet pan, layer the bread and drizzel (both sides) with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes (no need to turn).

The tomatoes caprese is simple. Open can of Italian diced tomatoes, drain, pour into crystal bowl. Serve with small serving spoon and fettuna. (honest...)

I didn't end up making or serving the salad...we were just too full.

My Alfredo sauce is my fav go to. In a sauce pan on med-low heat, 1 stick butter, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 tsp minced garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste. 

Dinner cost - $24.35/7 people

Ciao! 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I need to come to one of your dime dinner parties. Sounds amazing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be feeling much better. How do I get an invite? Sounds like a wonderful time, I hope Sparkie had a Very Happy Birthday.
    Love,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs Connie! I plan to have you and Tony over soon! I need a good mobile stylist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Gina. I am feeling much better. I've been able to eat bananas, apples, oranges and lettuce again. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete