Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

From Couch to a Clean House

Draft from April 23, 2012

Quick Note: Since I have not taken the time to revisit this post since April 23rd...I thought I should give an update.

1. My shoes are on (and it's 8:30 pm.)
2. Me: "Do we have any dishes in the sink?"  Aly: "No".  I'm not going to get up and check.
3. Confession...I didn't make my bed this morning, but I still think I'm on the right track.
4. I have an amazing friend who comes by once a month and helps me with my housekeeping but she hasn't been here in about six weeks. I'm happy because she's coming in a few days! Yahoo.
5. I've made it a point to read (an actual book) for at least 15 to 30 minutes 4x a week.
6. I threw a little pool opening party last weekend for some girlfriends...I don't remember if I kept my shoes on or not...
7. It's official. I own more than one pair shoes that have laces. I purchased them a week ago from Old Navy while with some girlfriends in San Marcos/Gruene.
8. Aly is asking for a panini so I have to get up off the couch...recipe to follow...maybe a photo too.

-------------------------------


End of day 1, getting my life back. I'm pretty pleased with myself. I found an article/website/blog about getting "couched to organized" in baby steps. I'm not really unorganized, but there are nights I go to sleep with a messy kitchen and living room, especially when I'm not cooking for my 15 year old daughter...(shhhh...that means she cooked for herself so I didn't make the mess), so I thought it was a good place to start. Plus I have someone help clean once a month and today was her day. I pay her in advance, it hadn't arrived yet (sent it on the 18th) so she didn't come. I kind of thought, well, here's my chance to save some money in the future.  Anyway, step one of the article was to clean and polish your kitchen sink every night before going to bed. It even mentioned wiping the water drops out of the basin AND keeping a dish pan under the sink for dirty dishes in the am if you don't have a dishwasher (or your family refused to use it). A little too far out of the park for me, but I get the point. Having no dishes in your sink means an unloaded and loaded dishwasher plus a clean counter top. And if you're like me, and your kitchen is 100% visible from your living room, it even motivated me to put the pillows in the proper place on my couch. I am even going to dare to attempt something I haven't done since I've filed for divorce. Read...like an actual book before I go to sleep. At least a few pages to help wind down and create a habit. Tomorrow's task (in addition to the empty sink) is to wear my shoes all day. Huh? That one struck a cord with me. Even if I'm throwing a formal dinner party I will attend my own party without shoes on. The task is based that if you don't have shoes on, your not prepared to work, thus as the tasks get harder, it will be easier to ignore them or procrastinate. And by shoes she means fully dressed. Even if it's a track suit. Showered, hair, make up, jewelry, dressed, shoes. Sigh, this one will be harder on weekends and when I get home, but I'll give it a whirl. Wish me luck. <3


Ref: http://www.flylady.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment