Popular Posts

Sunday, November 18, 2012

I'm going to start a blog = hurrah! Now what?

Hello all from near and far. I'm Robbyn from Robbyn's Nest. Unfortunately I don't have the unique idea I thought I did so there will be some changes soon. Big changes. I just don't know what it will entail yet...yet.

Moving on, my intention tonight was NOT to whine about how there are other Robin, Robyn and Robbyn's out there with blogs named "Robbyn's Nest" (yes with 2 b's), it was to talk about blogging.

My dear best friend (forever) Alithea Reyes of Alithea's Staging & Decor and I were talking about work she's going to do to my home (stay tuned. If you think I've used ENOUGH Robin's Egg Blue, you've got another think coming, besides, it's Pitsburg Paint's "White Clover" not Robin's Egg Blue. I just refer to it as that, because it is all about "ME") and she mentioned she wanted to start a blog, but she didn't know how.

Speaking of ME...

:)

I attended Savvy Trainer's Rocky Mountain Trainer's Meeting this week and it was all about blogging. Things to do, common mistakes (abandonment, Abandonment, ABANDONMENT - ok, I hear you...I'm posting see...) and I wanted to share some of their wisdom, while giving them credit because I pay attention.

Also, mistake number 3 in this post (mistake #1 is too many Robbyn's Nest Blogs, mistake #2 is blog ABANDONMENT, and mistake #3 is the "..." I'm so fond of) - just wanted to get that out there since I can finally call myself a "writer" thanks to Joker's Updates.

Here's a couple of key points to getting started:

  • Commit to 1 to 2x a week, but no "set" schedule
  • 150 to 500 words
  • WordPress offers free blogs and some templates for purchase
  • Show Personality, Don't Take Yourself too Seriously, Be Real
  • Play to your strengths
We also had some awesome demos of not just WordPress, but Google Alerts (which you can use for let's say you want to see when "Solstice" posts your Modern Family or Revenge Updates - hint HINT), Google/Trends and Google Fight.

More soon, I promise.

Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Tell her, to start with wordpress and buy her own domain name upfront. Moving after you are already established is not fun.
    Nighty, night,
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, you are so right. I wish I would have talked to you and attended the Savvy class before starting, but alas, there is no time like them present. I'm moving today!

    ReplyDelete