Popular Posts

Saturday, May 19, 2012

133 Days of Cookies (Respectively)

My mother was a fabulous baker. My cousin Gina can both bake and cook. I think people who can do one of the two is amazingly talented, but people can do both, just take my breath away, so just like in the that movie, where the writer (yea...I've got several hundred pages of fiction stuffed in a drawer) aspires to make every recipe from that famous cookbook.

I can be more specific...but I know everyone already knows what I'm talking about.

Anywho...I believe someone can do anything if they try, over and over and over and over. I'm that way with everything, kind of like a bull in a China shop. I will succeed over my own dead body. And yes, one day I'll get going my novel again. A quick side note, in 1993, it was read by an editor who thought it could fly as juvenile fiction. Well I was insulted. I felt I had been completely misunderstood. Today I look back and think...umm Harry Potter, Twilight...uggg, I missed my window.

Enough of that.

:)

Back to cookies. The number 133 (1133, 33) is my lucky number. Since 1988 that number has given me strength and courage, and persistence and the feeling that I'm not as alone as I feel sometimes. One of the treasures I have from my mother is her personal cookbook of cookies from her Cookie Bake parties when I was a child. I pulled the recipes down a moment ago because I'm going to make her mini cheesecakes next Saturday for my boyfriend's birthday and I thought, I really should bake more. I wonder how many recipes there are in this book...

Guess how many there were...133.

Okay, so now I know I MUST do this. I'd love to do a recipe a day, but sadly enough, my daughter and I are wimps when it comes to food volume. Last Thursday we went to an Italian Restaurant (shhh...don't tell anyone, it's all stuff I can make with my hands tied behind my back at home, but I wanted to be catered to) and I ordered an appetizer, and soup. She ordered soup and a main course. Three bites into the appetizer and soup both our of our eyes were rolling back to our head from being full. She ran to catch the waiter and cancelled the entree.

We're total wimps...ohhh and we still took food home.

So if I make a batch of cookies a day, even if I only make a dozen, that is 10 that will be put into a jar or the freezer. So at the end of the week, that is 70 cookies in a jar or the freezer...931 cookies after 133 days. My freezer won't be able to take it. I have a refrigerator with french doors and two pullouts for the freezer...no bueno. I don't have room for anything in there.

So ship my cookies off with my kiddos...well my older 2 don't eat nuts, so that won't work. My boyfriend's daughter is a baker...(let's get it straight, he's a biker, she's a baker - we spent several minutes last week specifically talking about cake balls) and a good one, so he's surrounded by treats all of the time, and for the most part, doesn't eat them when he's here. Now if I didn't have bananas and yogurt...that would be another story...

I'm not sure how I'm going to make it work, but I'm going to try for 2 to 3 recipes a week. That should take me the calendar year. Wish me luck.

:)




1 comment:

  1. Looks like you and Aly have your work cut out for you. I hope you have plenty of people to pawn all these cookies off on, lol. It's never too late to get on the bus to your next stop in life. Hope you guys are having a great weekend over there.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete