Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Disneyworld Epcot Lesson Learned Number One - Follow the Crowd

Is there anything worse than being sick on vacation? Forget the question, I was in Disneyworld, so if I had to be sick, at least I enjoyed myself.

:)

I consider myself someone who knows the Disneyland parks really well, but Disneyworld, now that is a whole other animal, and factor in Disney's Animal Kingdom...quite literally a whole new animal!

But first, let me reiterate, that I really consider myself someone who knows the Disneyland parks well...but I knew nothing about Disneyword. Nothing. I did have a friend who just went to Disneyworld so I got a few quick tips, which was helpful, but aside from that, I never really had a Disneyworld connection. Much of my opinion and thoughts about Disneyworld were formed based on my own assumptions, and the quickest way to learn is from mistakes, so let's get right to it. Let's get the mistake I made on the table, and then I'll give you my road map to the Magic Kingdom. I don't make mistakes often, much less, admit them...so it's a banner day.

Aly and I stayed with  my best friend in a timeshare with her husband and two grandchildren. It was really an ideal location, and the ideal situation. Aly and I had our own room, our own bathroom, TV, access to inside laundry, a full kitchen, dining room, living room and quite honestly, completely our own schedule and "to do" list. The Disneyworld campus has four parks and I knew which one was going to be the first we'd explore...Epcot. I had not one doubt.

Aly and I were first in line for the hotel bus to the park. It was a beautiful ride...blah blah blah, but let's get to the heart of it. The entire ride, Aly and I spoke of how remarkable it is to know nothing. To have every step be the first time. We will filled with anticipation.

Okay...if you've ever been to Epcot stop giggling now. I'm no longer speaking to you because you didn't share with me what I'm about to share with anyone who cares to read this blog.

;)

So there we are. Going through the ticket line wearing our "first visit" buttons, big smiles, tickets in hand. First, our finger print is associated with our tickets (I was in Disneyland this time last year, that was new) and we're through the gates. We have our map. I told Aly that I wanted to see the "lands" first because it would be completely unfamiliar. I had dreamed about the Epcot "lands" for years. Imagined everything.

It's official. We're in the park and we head to the left to the lands aka the World Showcase. And it's like the parting of the red sea, because everyone else...well they are going the other way, to Future World. Silly fools. Don't they know Future World is really Disneyland's Tomorrowland? Armatures. Complete, total armatures.

And we walk, and walk, and walk...and no one, no one is behind us. Ummmm...yes, NO ONE is behind us. Anyone see a problem here? Anyone?

I should also add, that if you are going to Disneyworld for the first time and you've been to Disneyland, make sure you read my blog, recommend my blog, share my blog, memorize my blog or call, email, whatever.

And we're still walking.

Finally, we are there! Mexico. Ahh Mexico. The park opened at 9:00 am, and it's now 9:30. Ummm, everything in Mexico is closed. That's alright, it's okay, Mexico looks "tiny" anyway.

Off to Norway!

Norway...yahoo. I'm finally reading the map guide now.


We go back back back - way back - into a corner for the ride Malestrom, which has a FP logo by the name so we're on track. It's only 9:30, and no one is behind us. No one is around us. Hey, is the park "really" open?

Stupid question?

Ahhhh...not as stupid as you'd assume. That is actually a very valid question. So here it is, mistake number one.

The "lands", the World Show Case, doesn't "open" until 11 am, even though the park opens at 9 am. What does that mean? Well it means the attractions, the shops, the food, the drinks...all of it is closed until 11 am, but you "can" walk around and scope the place out.

Lesson learned - if the crowd goes one way, don't assume they are all stupid, especially if you've never been there before. The crowd knows what they are doing, most of them probably have been in the Magic Kingdom at least one day more than I had been at that point.

;)
Well at least it's only 9:45. OMG, 9:45 am, in Disneyland this would be a certifiable disaster...but this isn't Disneyland, it's Disneyworld, and it's Epcot...all bets are off.

Thankfully Aly and I still had plenty of time. Here's how the rest of the day mapped out. One thing about being a Disneyland pro, I didn't get that self proclaimed title for nothing, I'm a fast learner and I learned fast, and the secret to learning fast is the code FP, which stands for Fast Pass.

Lesson number two - FP stands for Fast Pass, in other words, the most popular attractions (respectively - sometimes Disney gets it wrong) but let's assume, they are right. When you enter a new park for the first time, study the map for a moment and head to the area to the park with the most FP codes first. If you enter the park early, you should be able to knock out some of the biggest rides relatively fast, and if the lines are already out of control, you can Fast Pass them.

What is a Fast Pass you may ask? It's only the most amazing idea a theme park has ever deployed and it's FREE...yes, free.

And the best part? Well it still seems to be a well kept secret somehow. First of all, Fast Passes are valuable for anyone as long as you have your ticket stub. You insert your ticket stub into a machine, and the machine spits out a ticket telling you a one hour window where you'll be able to return to the line for the ride and ride at a greatly reduced wait time. Which is usually under 20 minutes.

Use the ability to get a Fast Pass wisely. The good news is that you can have more than one Fast Passes per ticket at a time, but you have to watch the time stamp of when you can insert your ticket for another pass.

Assume you'll be able to maneuver 2 or 3 in a day about 3 hours apart from each other.

What if you want more? Well we're jumping ahead here, but if you really want more...see a Disney Vacation (Timeshare) rep. If you agree to listen to the presentation, they will give you a 72 hour fast pass pass worth 3 additional fast passes per pass and that is lesson number three.

Coming soon - Four Parks - Six Days - Aaaaccchhhhooooooo Summer Cold

No comments:

Post a Comment